Monday, 14 August 2017

Gearbox Clean up

In order to give myself some variety during this restoration I have been choosing some parts of the MG Midget to clean up and this time I felt like the gearbox was in need of a wash, but only on the outside for now as I will need to read up on full restoration.

It certainly was caked in muck and oil!



So a soak in degreaser was required.



And after about 1½ hours scrubbing with wire brush and even an old toothbrush to get into the hard to reach places it eventually came up quite nice!


Once dry and admiring my work I realised that I hadn't ever tried to see if the gears worked, so turning the shaft I was so pleased to find all four forward gears selected as expected and I even found reverse!

No major noises or worrying movement, so on the face of it a positive little job, but I will still need to make sure I check the gears more thoroughly before attaching it to the engine!

No comments:

Post a comment