Wednesday 26 September 2018

Bump Stop Plate

Whilst the car is on its side and the floor is in place I need to put back the plate that the rubber bump stop on the suspension is designed to hit. 

Both of them were very dirty and a little bit rusty, so I set about to clean them up with my assortment of wire brushes.

They came up quite good and certainly good enough for another few years. They just needed some protection so I coated them in a couple of layers of rust converter.

I'll paint the insides with chassis black paint before welding them back on.

The only trouble real I had was that in order to attach these to the floor you need this bracket and one of them was totally destroyed by rust.

This one will be ok once cleaned up but I need to make a new one.

Monday 24 September 2018

Boot Floor Progress

Made some further progress this weekend on the boot floor by welding in the left hand side extension panel.

Even with just one of these in it makes the whole floor look more complete. 

I also finished welding the rear edge of the floor panel which (with a bit of filler) is looking good as well.

Wednesday 19 September 2018

Boot Floor Extension Panels

Trying to get these extension panels to fit perfectly has certainly been very difficult, but after about four hours I'm ready to weld them in.

Part of the problem was unfortunately that the curve on the wheel arch that I had to make myself wasn't an exact match. So I had to make some alternations. Probably should have taken more time to ensure it was perfect. 

The other issue was the amount of repair work that I had to do around that area, most of it was guess work. However with a little more fettling they now appear to slot right in and ready for welding.

Tuesday 11 September 2018

Boot Floor In!

For the past 7 months I have been unable to get into the garage to work on the MG Midget, which has been really hard to handle, but we really want to finish the house as much as possible. We have been living in this house for 3 years now and we're finally coming to the end of the top to bottom renovation.

However now that much of the work has been completed I have been able to get back to restoring the car!

First up was to get that boot floor welded in, which has been a big task. 

There is still more welding to go which I will be tackling over the next week or so, but happy this is in and fits really well. Hopefully progress will now pick up.

Really need to spend quite a bit of attention around the rear wings and extension panels on both sides. Seems like they will fit...