Tuesday, 20 June 2017

A-Post Repair - continued

Now that I have finished the A-post repair I have to say it has been extremely challenging to get it to fit correctly so that it makes the door and wing gaps look half decent.

Offering up the new repair panel seemed to suggest all was well.


 





Getting everything in line and moulded into shape took a lot of time.




After a lot of checking and double checking, welding, grinding and more welding I offered up the front wing to check the gaps.



You might be able to see the gap at the top of the wing widens right where I have welded the new panel to the original A-post. At first I wasn't sure if this was the wing or the A-post. I couldn't understand why the gap was there as the original metal curves in as well.
This meant I had to put a whole load on new metal to rebuild the apex of the curve.




But we got there in the end. I have also improved the gap between the door and the a-post so it is even all the way down, especially around the corner.

One of the final jobs was to crimp the flange into place. A pair of pliers and a block of wood was called for.





No comments:

Post a comment